Friday, October 30, 2009

NY Deli Egg and Ketchup Sandwich (from inherited ingredients)



From pantry:
2 slices honey wheat bread (from half loaf left to me by carrie who went to new york last week)
1 egg
kethcup packs (from random trip to the carls junior)
salt and pepper
1 slice american cheese (left in fridge by subletter from september)
Add ons: None
Cost today $0


I remember from New York how two eggs on a roll is a buck 25 and tastes really good with ketchup pepper and salt on a melty soft kaiser roll.  So I had exactly one egg in the pantry (left to me as part of a half dozen,  last week by Rachel who went to Miami.) Normally I am a two egg one bread or two egg one tortilla person but since i only had one, I toasted up 2 slices of bread because the loaf looks like its teetering on its freshness date anyway and fried up the egg seasoning with salt and pepper. I took a slice of the american cheese that has been languishing on the bottom shelf because I rarely use it for anything, and put it on top of the egg to melt.  I margerined up one side of one slice of toast, laid on the egg and the cheese blend and then opened up 2 ketchup packs that have been sitting where the butter is supposed to go in the door of the fridge.  sliced the sandwich in half and to my delight pretty much recreated the taste of monday mornings in new york on the corner of 83rd and Amsterdam on my way to school at Lincoln center. And I gotta tell you, in this particular context a kraft slice tastes PERFECT.

No comments:

Post a Comment