Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sriracha rules the pantry for zing.


Pantry Raid Staple
cost: about 5 bucks
On Top Chef one of the contestants said she would put sriracha in ANYTHING -- And for pantry raiding i have to agree.  My relatives in Indonesia call anything spicy hot "sambal" and i think there is actually a sambal brand.  It is wayyyy hotter and is mostly pure chili, i like it on rice and dark meats. But the blend of garlic and chili in sriracha seriously amps any egg, pasta , even salad, and because you don't need much one bottle goes a longggg way. My fridge door feels naked without one of these badboys in it.  The secret to pantry raids is to make even the most mundane of foods taste delicious and well conceived. Sriracha is one of the ways to do that.  I sprinkle some on top of a dressed salad, especially the creamy Goddess kind of dressing that I prefer, which by the way also functions as a great flavor burst in eggs, sandwiches etc.  I put sriracha on a grilled cheese and sprinkle it on kraft mac and cheese.  in my tuna salad it gives a little kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment